Tuesday 27 March 2012

From arid winter to lush summer

When fellow UCSF pediatric resident Chris Carpenter (who writes a great blog, Backpacks and Stethoscopes, chronicling his adventures) told me about his gig in Saipan last year, I was halfway into my year in Zimbabwe working for "Doctors without Borders" (Medecins Sans Frontieres). It sounded as far away on this world from where I was as could be. In fact it was just about 1/3 of the world away- 8 time zones ahead.

 My work in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe was in a dry, land locked region of a country handicapped under the rule of a paranoid tyrant, Robert Mugabe. Living in a communal home, making very little as a volunteer, I was part of a large MSF team that I absolutely admired and will remember for the rest of my life.

Saipan, on the other hand is a lush tropical island the size of San Francisco (~45 sq miles) that falls under the lesser known U.S. commonwealth. There would be a small team of laid back docs at the island's only hospital. There, both Nadeah and I could work and get a U.S. type salary- much needed to put a dent in each of our looming 6 digit loans. So we made the leap and here we are.

Tune in soon for the story of my first scuba dive the week I arrived and my experience in a fish tornado..

1 comment: